La Caille at Quail Run: Elegant Dining

23 July 1983

I have no recollection of what brought us to La Caille for dinner.  Dining at this elegant (and expensive) restaurant on our own dime wasn’t in our budget, so I can only assume that I had received a dinner certificate from my boss (his brother in law was one of the owners).

[click photo to go to the La Caille’s website]

The restaurant was in a French chateaux-style building that sat on extensive, manicured grounds in Little Cottonwood Canyon.  Patrons drove up a tree-lined, brick road that led to a circular driveway — very much like it’s portrayed in the above picture.  The ambiance of the grounds and the dining rooms in the chateaux was wonderful and lent itself to elegant dining.

I don’t remember in which of the dining rooms we were seated, but thanks to some notes in my photo album, I do know what we ate.  When it comes to food, Mui’s the more adventuresome of the two of us, so I’d have to say that he probably ordered the items on the right.

We’ve always said that when we eventually return to Utah, we’ll dine in style at La Caille.  Well, in researching this post, I came across a tidbit that the estate is up for sale at Sotheby’s International Realty.  So, just in case we don’t have an opportunity go to La Caille again and take our own pictures, here are some from the Sotheby website.  (You can click the photos for larger versions.)

[collages created from photos on the Sotheby website]

By the way, if you have $19.9 million in pocket change, the estate can be yours.

No comments: