Got My Driver’s License

June 30, 1982

I took lessons when I reached the legal age for driving in Turkey, but I never took the test to get a driver’s license.  After all, I could get anywhere I wanted to in İzmir on foot or by taking public transportation.  Why mess with traffic and parking headaches!

After we moved to the US, it quickly became apparent that a driver’s license was a necessity, not a luxury.  Still, I dragged my feet as long as I could.  As Mui’s departure date for USAF basic training drew closer, however, the choice was taken out of my hands.  I would no longer be able to rely on him to drive me around; I had to be my own chauffeur.

After Mui gave me a couple of refresher lessons in an empty parking lot, I went to the DMV to take the written test.  Passing that with flying colors, I proceeded onto the road test.  Passed that one too; though I was told to practice my parallel parking skills I a bit more.

Putting the DL to use after the road test.

By the way, I still go out of my way to avoid parallel parking!

No comments: